Liver German Shepherd Information
liver German Shepherd Dog (GSD) has been kept undercover for far too
long. Some breeders thought that another male had gotten to their
female and the resulting brown looking puppy was a mutt. Others
knew what they were and put them down as they did not want anyone to
know they were producing anything other than traditional colored
shepherds. However, with the canine genomic project and strong
breeders who stood their ground for this color of GSD, they are
beginning to be seen in several countries.
I have always admired the liver
coloration and wanted to incorporate liver into my breeding program;
however, I found it to be difficult in the beginning to find them
especially with AKC full registration as the breeders that did allow
them to live, only sold on limited registration for fear that they were
not as healthy as their colored siblings.
came across a litter of four liver female puppies and between myself
and my best friend, Dawn, we rounded up three of the four, and the last
sister went to a fellow liver lover. My search was far from over
since the liver gene is inherited autosomal recessive I had to find a
male that carried liver or was liver himself. Finally, I found an
awesome four year old male, Dutch, for sale. His owner drove him
to my kennel and I was in love as he is a big social, warm, gentle giant but will protect in a heart beat.
after I found him, the liver pups arrived and I knew I wanted to go
with chocolate names for my liver shepherds.
Chocolate is a much more
flattering word for these majestically colored GSD.
I now own and /or co-own these liver GSD , click for more information:
- Godiva - Liver / tan long coat female - now retired
- Choca - Liver / tan female, unrelated - now retired
- Carmella - Liver sable, Daughter to Rusty & Cinnamon - now retired
- Russell Stover - Liver / tan long coat male; thought to be retired but producing unregistered puppies now
- Toffifay - Liver / tan long coat female, only related to her brother: Russell Stover - now retired
- Lindor - Solid liver male, same sire as Russell Stover & Toffifay - retired to another kennel
- Kahlua - long coat liver/tan female - sister to Mudslide
- Mudslide - long coat liver/tan male - brother to Kahlua
- Brownies - long coat liver/tan female - daughter of Gina &
Click here to see pictures of the liver colored GSD.